Bulgarian Writers Support the Strike of WGA
JUNE 14TH 2023 - SCREENWRITERS EVERYWHERE SUPPORT THE WGA STRIKE
Talking points for international writers’ guilds and international allies (directors, actors, crew, other unions) in support of the strike
- Screenwriters in the U.S., through their union, renegotiate their collective agreement every three years.
- Their employers are global companies like Disney, Netflix and Amazon who are refusing to pay them fairly.
- So the WGA is on strike since 2nd May 2023.
- These global media companies have made billions from the work of writers and all the other workers who make movies and series, but they are refusing to share that value with workers.
- WGA’s demands include:
- better pay and working conditions,
- improved payments for use of writers’ content on streaming services including viewership-based payments for successful programs,
- protections against free work,
- and restrictions on the use of artificial intelligence, so that studios cannot use it to undermine writers’ compensation and creative rights.
- The struggle for fair compensation and protections against these global streaming companies impacts us all
- It connects to the needs of our guild and members.
- The WGA wants the same things that our members need.
We stand in solidarity with the striking members of the WGAW and WGAE.